Kayak’s Earliest Backer Is Investing More $$ in This Hot Travel Startup
When Freebird debuted its instant flight rebooking service in fall 2015, the Cambridge startup was making a big play for consumers with the promise of letting them rebook a canceled or delayed flight within 30 seconds. You would have to pay a small fee up front, but the rebooked ticket would come at no extra cost and you could book with any airline.
A year and a half later, Freebird is no longer chasing consumers. Now it’s all about business travelers, and investors, including Kayak’s (KYAK) earliest backer and a group of travel industry vets, see a lot of promise in the move.
The investor leading General Catalyst’s investment in Freebird is Joel Cutler, who’s responsible for getting Paul English and Steve Hafner together to found Kayak.
“Freebird’s ability to detect problems and create instant alternatives is gaining great traction with travel management companies and their corporate clients,” Cutler said in a statement. “It’s easy to see how the service becomes a must-have for anyone looking to take the hassle out of their travels.”
On the Blog…
- Big Announcement! (And how I got locked out of my hotel room) (4-21-17)
- Holiday Travel: Knowledge is Power (12-20-16)
- VIDEO: Freebird Travel Intelligence at PhoCusWright 2016
- VIDEO: Freebird Flight Rebooking at PhoCusWright 2016
- Thanksgiving Travel Insights You Didn’t Know You Needed (11-22-16)
- Can Technology Save Your Trip? (10-20-16)
- Fall Wedding? Freebird is Free for Your Guests (10-06-16)
- Freebird APIs: A Platform for Partnership (09-22-16)
- The Antidote to Multi-Traveler Mayhem (08-30-16)
- Freebird Turns One (02-17-16)
- Why we exist. (12-15-15)
- Introducing Freebird (11-19-15)